- Brill Power’s advanced proprietary BMS+ technology ensures optimal performance, prolonging the life of second life cells and enhancing the overall efficiency of the BESS
- The project significantly contributes to reducing electronic waste
- The collaboration offers a cost-effective solution for energy storage, lowering the overall cost of BESS units
- The resulting BESS units offer reliable and sustainable energy storage options, catering to various applications, including renewable energy integration, grid support, and backup power
Rimini, 7th November 2023 — Brill Power has entered into an agreement with Pretto SRL to supply its BESA BP6X1 Battery Management+ System for Pretto SRL’s second life battery energy storage systems (BESS). The partnership will enable second life cells to be repurposed, reducing waste and ensuring a more sustainable and cost-effective source of energy storage.
Brill Power’s BESA BP6X1 is an advanced Battery Management+ System, incorporating active cell loading and integrated power electronics. The system ensures the safe and efficient operation of the second life cells, maximising their lifespan and performance.
Pretto SRL, a leader in commercial electric vehicle importing and distribution in Italy and leading manufacturer of BESS through its branch, Dogma Energia, is aiming to transform the industry by assembling energy storage systems with second life cells that are sourced from end-of-life commercial electric vehicles. These cells, often underutilised after the vehicles’ end-of-life cycle, are given a new lease of life through a meticulous process of sorting and re-qualification. Many of these cells will be sourced from its own branch which rents commercial electric vehicles.
By combining the environmentally responsible approach of utilising second life cells with cutting-edge BMS+ technology, the partnership aims to deliver a sustainable, reliable, and economically competitive energy storage solution. Key highlights of this collaboration include:
- Sustainability: The project significantly contributes to reducing electronic waste by repurposing end-of-life EV batteries, thereby promoting environmental sustainability.
- Cost-Effective Energy Storage: By re-qualifying and utilising second life cells, the collaboration offers a cost-effective solution for energy storage, lowering the overall cost of BESS units.
- Advanced Battery Management: Brill Power proprietary BMS+ technology ensures optimal performance, prolonging the life of second life cells and enhancing the overall efficiency of the BESS.
- Reliable Energy Solutions: The resulting BESS units offer reliable and sustainable energy storage options, catering to various applications, including renewable energy integration, grid support, and backup power.
The Brill Power BESA Range is built with BrillCore and BrillOS technologies, enabling it to be scalable to different system sizes and compatible with any battery chemistry. These capabilities provide the flexibility required to Pretto SRL to deliver a range of BESS from second life cells to suit the commercial and industrial market.
On the partnership, Christoph Birkl, Brill Power CEO commented:
“We are delighted to be supplying our BESA BP6X1 Battery Management+ System to Pretto SRL for use in their second life BESS products. Thanks to the integration of BrillCore and BrillOS technologies, BESA BP6X1 is well suited to second life storage systems where cells can have differing states of health even at the start of a systems life. We are confident that utilising our technology will enable Pretto SRL to bring to market a class leading second life BESS and look forward to working with them on this project.”
Pretto SRL Davide Galbiati, project manager stated:
“The partnership with Brill Power is a significant step forward in the field of energy storage, with a strong focus on enhancing the performance, reliability, and scalability of our systems.
As we move forward, you can expect to see groundbreaking innovations emerge from our collaboration. We are excited about the possibilities that lie ahead, and we invite you to stay tuned for updates on our joint projects and developments. Finally the second life of the batteries can become a real technical feasible option.”
The partnership between Brill Power and Pretto SRL has been officially announced at the Ecomondo Exhibition, a prestigious event in the field of environmental sustainability and renewable energy solutions held between November 7th-10th in Rimini.
– Ends –
For more information about this partnership or to enquire about Brill Power’s Battery Management+ System and the BESS products assembled with second life cells, please contact:
Brill Power: Peter Freedman (Chief Commercial Officer) firstname.lastname@example.org
About Brill Power
Brill Power’s mission is to harness the potential in novel battery management systems to improve the performance and reduce the costs of ownership of stationary & motive power batteries as an enabling and sustainable technology for society. The company has been founded on world-class research pioneered at the University of Oxford and has closed a Series A round led by Legal & General Capital and Barclays Sustainable Impact Capital.
About Pretto Srl
Pretto Srl, the leader in commercial electric vehicle importing and distribution in Italy is pioneering the assembly and manufacturing of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) through its branch, Dogma Energia. Their commitment to environmental sustainability and innovation drives their mission to provide cost-effective energy solutions while reducing electronic waste.