We are looking for a Back End Developer with experience in .NET Core to lead the development of our key analytics software products for increasing the lifetime performance of stationary and automotive battery systems. The successful candidate will be part of our software and data science team and will be responsible for developing and maintaining the Back End of the client-facing applications used to monitor and visualise our customer’s battery energy storage systems current and predicted performance.
You will join Brill Power at an exciting time, having recently closed our Series A fundraising round, and moving towards further hardware and software product innovations and releases.
About Brill Power
Brill Power works at the cutting edge of energy storage, power electronics, and battery software. We are a team of problem solvers and innovators, keen to make energy storage as efficient and sustainable as possible.
Established in 2016, Brill Power is a founder-run startup with roots in the Engineering Department at the University of Oxford. Our first product for the stationary storage market launched in 2021 and we are looking forward to growing our impact and expanding to new markets. We are a small and talented team based in Oxford who are looking for new members to join us for the next chapter of Brill Power.
Here’s what we’re about:
- Fun is essential to success: We love what we do. We think you should too.
- We are not alone: We share spaces, markets, geographies, and Earth’s resources with everyone around us. Acting in a fair and honest manner is how we work at Brill Power.
- We do cool stuff: We don’t make products that are the norm. We innovate and raise the bar on what is possible.
The person who joins us as a Back End Engineer will contribute to the architecture and will lead the development of our client-facing battery analytics web application. They will own the Back End part of the codebase. They will make both high-level technology decisions such as what technologies we use and what our testing strategy should be. They will also be lead contributor when it comes to implementing new features and fixing bugs. They will be key to delivering advanced battery diagnostics and prognostics algorithms developed by the data science team into our analytics platform product, providing our customer with valuable insights into their battery systems’ current and future performance.
If you are keen to develop new technologies and work in a dynamic field, this may be the role for you. You should be confident working autonomously while also being comfortable working with the team in a fast-paced environment. You should have strong analytical skills and be a critical thinker who is not afraid to keep questioning the status quo.
The role is based at our head office in Oxford, but a degree of flexible working for you and your team is welcomed. Brill Power offers a hybrid in office and working from home environment. If you fill most of the qualifications listed below and are excited to work on cutting-edge battery technology, we want to talk to you.
Where are we now, and why is the role important to us
An advanced prototype of our web application is already being used by our first clients. The back end, written in C# .NET Core, comprises several standalone dockerised services deployed to Azure. In the next stage of our journey, we need to make sure that our app is scalable for our expected client-based growth, and that new features can be iterated quickly.
- Design, develop, maintain and test new back-end features.
- Maintain and improve database schemas.
- Interact with the firmware and data science teams to synchronise on how data is being gathered and stored.
- Generate user and design documentation.
- Collaborate with the hardware and software teams and communicate progress.
- Liaise with customers and users of our systems to fix bugs and gather inputs for further development.
- Assist in maintaining a positive and productive atmosphere within the team.
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent knowledge of .NET Core
- Experience in designing modern web applications, such as choosing the right technologies to use, and architecting scalable solutions.
- Experience working with Cloud services platforms, ideally Microsoft Azure.
- Experience designing and maintaining SQL and noSQL databases.
- Familiarity with Rest API.
- Good knowledge of Git
- Scientific approach to problem solving. Hypothesis, Test, Understand etc.
- Strong debugging skills
- Able to work autonomously
- Fast-learner and eager to quickly adapt and pick up new technologies and skills
- Great communication skill and works well with others
Nice to have:
- Experience with time-series data
- Experience with analytics and Machine Learning product development.
- Experience with IoT technologies.
- Experience with CI/CD
Brill Power Benefits
In addition to a fun and friendly team and working environment, we offer:
- Competitive salary, based on experience
- 25 days of holiday plus bank holidays
- Benefits package, including income protection, life insurance, and medical cover
- Full time, permanent role, with flexible working hours
- Opportunity for hybrid working (home and office)
- In-office tea, coffee, & snacks
- Regular team social events
Get in touch
There is no perfect candidate, and no single person can do it all, but if this sounds like you and you’re looking for somewhere to thrive, we want to hear from you.
Brill Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all, without regard to their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, gender reassignment, national origin, sexual orientation, or age.
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com, clearly indicating where your skills and experience match what we are looking for in this role.
Brill Power is proud to be a certified Oxford Living Wage employer.