We are looking for a senior software engineer with experience in embedded systems to assist with firmware development on existing and new product lines. This role be an essential part of our firmware team, and work with and provide support to our hardware team.
About Brill Power
Brill Power works at the cutting edge of energy storage, power electronics, and battery software. We are a team of problem solvers and innovators, keen to make energy storage as efficient and sustainable as possible.
Established in 2016, Brill Power is a founder-run startup with roots in the Engineering Department at the University of Oxford. Our first product for the stationary storage market launched in 2021 and we are looking forward to growing our impact and expanding to new markets. We are a small and talented team based in Oxford who are looking for new members to join us for the next chapter of Brill Power.
Here’s what we’re about:
- Fun is essential to success: We love what we do. We think you should too.
- We are not alone: We share spaces, markets, geographies, and Earth’s resources with everyone around us. Acting in a fair and honest manner is how we work at Brill Power.
- We do cool stuff: We don’t make products that are the norm. We innovate and raise the bar on what is possible.
The person who joins us as a Senior Embedded Software Engineer will work closely with our Firmware and Hardware teams to assist in the design, development, and testing of new and existing firmware features. This includes generating user and design documentation as well as creating internal tools to assist with testing and internal processes.
If you are keen to develop new technologies and work in a dynamic field, this may be the role for you. You should be confident working autonomously while also being comfortable working with the team in a fast-paced environment. Brill Power offers a hybrid in office and working from home environment. You should have strong analytical skills and be a critical thinker who is not afraid to keep questioning the status quo. If you fill most of the qualifications listed below and are excited to work on cutting-edge battery technology, we want to talk to you.
- Design, develop, and test new firmware features
- Support and enhance existing firmware features
- Develop internal test tools
- Generate user and design documentation
- Collaborate with the hardware and software teams and communicate progress
- Assist in maintaining a positive and productive atmosphere within the team
- Liaise with customers and users of our systems
Skills and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in software engineering, computing science, or equivalent fields, or a combination of education and work experience, with relevant experience
- Interest in Embedded Systems and a familiarity with microcontrollers (STM32, PIC, etc.)
- Knowledge of object-oriented principles
- C / C++ / Python (Ideally proficient in at least two out of three)
- Scientific approach to problem solving. Hypothesis, Test, Understand etc.
- Strong debugging skills
- Familiarity with version control
- Able to work autonomously
- Fast-learner and eager to quickly adapt and pick up new technologies and skills
- Great communication skill and works well with others
Nice to have:
- Experience in MISRA, AUTOSAR, ISO26262
- Strong testing background (TDD, unit testing, LINT, etc.)
- Familiarity in bug tracking
- Experience with oscilloscopes, multimeters, digital logic analysers
- Familiarity of CAN, I2C, SPI.
- Experience with electrical circuit design
- Ability to read and understand circuit schematics
- Interest in power electronics and motor drives
- RTOS Experience (Zephyr, FreeRTOS, etc.)
Brill Power Benefits
In addition to a fun and friendly team and working environment, we offer:
- Competitive salary, based on experience
- 25 days of holiday plus bank holidays
- Benefits package, including income protection, life insurance, and medical cover
- Full time, permanent role, with flexible working hours
- Opportunity for hybrid working (home and office), depending on role
- In-office tea, coffee, & snacks
- Regular team social events
Get in touch
There is no perfect candidate, and no single person can do it all, but if this sounds like you and you’re looking for somewhere to thrive, we want to hear from you.
Brill Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all, without regard to their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, gender reassignment, national origin, sexual orientation, or age.
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly indicating where your skills and experience match what we are looking for in this role.
Brill Power is proud to be a certified Oxford Living Wage employer.