We are looking for a junior level software engineer with experience in embedded systems development to assist with firmware development on existing and new product lines. The right candidate will work in our firmware team who work alongside our hardware team to provide support and new features for our current products as well as develop our new products. The right candidate will join a small but growing team in a permanent full-time role and will report directly to our Senior Firmware Engineers.
About Brill Power
Brill Power works at the cutting edge of energy storage, power electronics, and battery software. We are a team of problem solvers and innovators, keen to make energy storage as efficient and sustainable as possible.
Established in 2016, Brill Power is a founder-run startup with roots in the Engineering Department at the University of Oxford. Our first product for the stationary storage market launched in 2021 and we are looking forward to growing our impact and expanding to new markets. We are a small and talented team based in Oxford who are looking for new members to join us for the next chapter of Brill Power.
Here’s what we’re about:
- Fun is essential to success: We love what we do. We think you should too.
- We are not alone: We share spaces, markets, geographies, and Earth’s resources with everyone around us. Acting in a fair and honest manner is how we work at Brill Power.
- We do cool stuff: We don’t make products that are the norm. We innovate and raise the bar on what is possible.
The right candidate will join Brill Power as a Junior Embedded Software Engineer working in our firmware team to assist in the design, development, and testing of new firmware features as well as maintaining existing features. This may include creating internal tools to assist with testing and automating workflows. Some of the work will include supporting generation of user and design documentation.
You will be comfortable developing short work packages with a senior mentor and carrying out the work (with guidance from team members). The successful candidate will have strong analytical skills and be a critical thinker who is not afraid to question the status quo. If you have some of the experience or qualifications listed below and are excited to work on cutting-edge battery technology, we want to talk to you.
- Assist in designing, developing, and testing new firmware features.
- Support and enhance existing firmware features.
- Develop internal test tools.
- Generate user and design documentation.
- Collaborate with the hardware and software teams in feature development.
- Assist in maintaining a positive and productive atmosphere within the team.
Skills and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in software engineering, computing science, Electronic Engineering, or equivalent fields. Or a combination of education and relevant work experience
- Interest and familiarity in Embedded Systems and microcontrollers (STM32, Raspberry Pi, ESP8266, PIC, etc.)
- Experience working in C/C++
- Strong analytical approach to problem solving.
- Experience with debugging including using scopes and tracers.
- Great communication skills and works well with others.
Nice to Have:
- Familiarity with version control (i.e. Git)
- Experience with coding standards or functional safety (MISRA, AUTOSAR, IEC61508)
- Experience with test driven development and verification (unit testing, LINT, etc.)
- Familiarity in bug tracking
- Experience with oscilloscopes, multi-meters, and logic analysers
- Familiarity of CAN, I2C, SPI.
- Experience with circuit design
- Ability to read and understand circuit schematics.
- Experience using Python.
- Experience working with Linux including embedded Linux.
- Embedded RTOS (Zephyr, FreeRTOS etc)
Brill Power Benefits
In addition to a fun and friendly team and working environment, we offer:
- Competitive salary, based on experience
- 25 days of holiday plus bank holidays
- Benefits package, including income protection, life insurance, and medical cover
- Full time, permanent role, with flexible working hours
- Opportunity for hybrid working (home and office), depending on role
- In-office tea, coffee, & snacks
- Regular team social events
Get in touch
There is no perfect candidate, and no single person can do it all, but if this sounds like you and you’re looking for somewhere to thrive, we want to hear from you.
Brill Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all, without regard to their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, gender reassignment, national origin, sexual orientation, or age.
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com, clearly indicating where your skills and experience match what we are looking for in this role.
Brill Power is proud to be a certified Oxford Living Wage employer.