We are looking for a Head of Software to lead our software engineering team developing key analytics software products for increasing the lifetime performance of stationary and automotive battery systems. The successful candidate will oversee a team of software engineers and report directly to our Co-Founder and Chief Data Scientist, working to deliver products and innovation alongside our Firmware, Electronics engineering and Data Science teams.
Our Head of Software will join Brill Power at an exciting time, having recently closed our Series A fundraising round, and moving towards further hardware and software product innovations and releases. To support this work, we are searching for a Head of Software to help manage the software engineering team’s growth and success. This will consist of managing the evolution of our existing Cloud-based battery analytics SaaS product, as well as delivering on the next generation of Brill Power’s software product lines.
About Brill Power
Brill Power works at the cutting edge of energy storage, power electronics, and battery software. We are a team of problem solvers and innovators, keen to make energy storage as efficient and sustainable as possible.
Established in 2016, Brill Power is a founder-run startup with roots in the Engineering Department at the University of Oxford. Our first product for the stationary storage market launched in 2021 and we are looking forward to growing our impact and expanding to new markets. We are a small and talented team based in Oxford who are looking for new members to join us for the next chapter of Brill Power.
Here’s what we’re about:
- Fun is essential to success: We love what we do. We think you should too.
- We are not alone: We share spaces, markets, geographies, and Earth’s resources with everyone around us. Acting in a fair and honest manner is how we work at Brill Power.
- We do cool stuff: We don’t make products that are the norm. We innovate and raise the bar on what is possible.
The person who joins us as Head of Software will be responsible for leading the development of our client-facing battery analytics software platform, as well as future SaaS product lines. They will grow and lead a team of talented software engineers, with expertise including front-end, back-end and IoT communication, delivering Brill Power’s current and future battery data analytics products.
They will make both high-level technology decisions such as what technologies and architecture we use and what our testing strategy should be, as well as managing the maintenance and delivery of new features to our existing SaaS products. They will be key to delivering advanced battery diagnostics and prognostics algorithms developed by the data science team into our analytics platform product, providing our customer with valuable insights into their battery systems’ current and future performance.
You should have strong analytical skills and be a critical thinker who is not afraid to keep questioning the status quo, providing expert knowledge for designing and delivering Cloud-based SaaS products.
The role is based at our head office in Oxford, but a degree of flexible working for you and your team is welcomed. Brill Power offers a hybrid in office and working from home environment. If you fill most of the qualifications listed below and are excited to work on cutting-edge battery technology, we want to talk to you.
Where are we now, and why is the role important to us
An advanced prototype of our web application is already being used by our first customers. The front end is written in Fluent React and the back end, written in C# .NET Core, comprises several standalone dockerised services deployed to Azure. In the next stage of our journey, we need to make sure that our app is scalable for our expected client-based growth, and that new features can be iterated quickly.
- Take ownership and lead the design, development, delivery and maintenance of Brill Power’s battery analytics software products.
- Grow and develop Brill Power’s software engineering team.
- Manage the software engineering team’s day to day activities and overall plan.
- Undertake code reviews, team mentoring and coaching with the objective of establishing core team values, competencies, and best practice.
- Define the scope and plan the delivery of data analytics projects/products in close collaboration with the executive team and product owners.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the Data Science, Hardware, and Firmware teams.
- Represent the Software Engineering team to communicate work plan and progress to various stakeholders, including project managers, the executive team, and the Board of Directors as needed.
- Support the required standards compliance and certification process for the product and company overall.
- Liaise with Brill Power’s customers and users.
- Assist in maintaining a positive and productive atmosphere within the team.
Skills and Qualifications
- Track record of successfully delivering and maintaining customer-facing Cloud-based software products.
- Previous experience as a software team lead.
- Have demonstrable lead experience in full life cycle software development.
- Ability to work in a dynamic development environment with rapidly changing priorities.
- Experience in designing modern web applications, such as choosing the right technologies to use, and architecting scalable solutions.
- Proven experience of selecting and using a wide range of Cloud services from different providers.
- Experience and/or ability to work with various languages and frameworks such as C#, TypeScript, Python, .NET Core, React.
- Experience with modern software development technologies such as Git, CI/CD, IaC, Docker, etc. and willingness to champion their adoption by the team.
- Great communication skill and able to discuss complex technical issues to other members of the team.
Nice to have:
- Experience with bringing a new SaaS product to market.
- Experience delivering Analytics and Machine Learning algorithms in software products.
- Experience with time-series databases.
- Experience with IoT communication and edge device management.
- Experience implementing required processes for compliance with relevant standards such as ISO 27001 or SOC2.
Brill Power Benefits
In addition to a fun and friendly team and working environment, we offer:
- Competitive salary, based on experience
- 25 days of holiday plus bank holidays
- Benefits package, including income protection, life insurance, and medical cover
- Full time, permanent role, with flexible working hours
- Opportunity for hybrid working (home and office), depending on role
- In-office tea, coffee, & snacks
- Regular team social events
Get in touch
There is no perfect candidate, and no single person can do it all, but if this sounds like you and you’re looking for somewhere to thrive, we want to hear from you.
Brill Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all, without regard to their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, gender reassignment, national origin, sexual orientation, or age.
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com, clearly indicating where your skills and experience match what we are looking for in this role.
Brill Power is proud to be a certified Oxford Living Wage employer.