We are looking for an experienced Senior Battery Modeller to contribute to developing advanced battery models, machine learning algorithms, and data exploration and analysis tools. The results of your work will be deployed on Brill Power’s cutting-edge battery management technology. You will join a dynamic team in a permanent, full-time role and report directly to our Chief Data Scientist.
Brill Power works at the cutting edge of energy storage, power electronics, and battery software. We are a team of problem solvers and innovators, keen to make energy storage as efficient and sustainable as possible.
Established in 2016, Brill Power is a founder-run startup with roots in the Engineering Department at the University of Oxford. Our first product for the stationary storage market launched in 2021 and we are looking forward to growing our impact and expanding to new markets. We are a small and talented team based in Oxford who are looking for new members to join us for the next chapter of Brill Power.
Here’s what we’re about:
- Fun is essential to success: We love what we do. We think you should too.
- We are not alone: We share spaces, markets, geographies, and Earth’s resources with everyone around us. Acting in a fair and honest manner is how we work at Brill Power.
- We do cool stuff: We don’t make products that are the norm. We innovate and raise the bar on what is possible.
You will become one of our in-house experts in battery knowledge, joining a team of thought-leaders in the space. In this role, you will work with other members of the data science team to extract insights that will have significant impact to end-users of battery pack owners. You will work closely with our Chief Data Scientist and the rest of the team to bring to market novel algorithms and insights that leverage Brill Power’s advanced battery technology to go beyond the status quo in the industry.
If you are keen to develop new technologies and work in a dynamic field, this may be the role for you. You should be confident working autonomously while also being comfortable working with the team in a fast-paced environment. If you fill the majority of the qualifications listed below and are excited to work on cutting-edge battery technology, we want to talk to you.
- Work alongside our battery experts to extract impactful insights from the datasets
- Develop scalable and flexible workflow and data pipelines including pre- and post-processing of data
- Inform the technical roadmap for development of new features and algorithms for Brill Power’s cloud analytics platform
- Closely interact with the software team to ensure the algorithms integrate efficiently with the backend, and the results are presented to our customers correctly and clearly on the front-end
- Develop tools and algorithms for a cloud-enhanced Battery Management System (BMS) in collaboration with the embedded BMS team
- Develop tools based on the latest techniques giving insights into battery health and lifetime performance prediction
- Extend approaches to work for different types of batteries or use-cases
- Stay up to date with the latest information in battery modelling by keeping on top of academic literature and attending relevant conferences
- Be proactively involved in relevant collaborative project work with industrial and academic partners.
Skills and Qualifications
- Graduate degree in engineering, mathematics, statistics, physics or equivalent fields, or a combination of education and work experience, with relevant research experience
- Deep understanding of battery cells, their degradation mechanism and how they integrate and work in battery systems
- Track record developing battery degradation diagnostics and prognosticsalgorithms and tools providing insights into battery current and future performance and safety
- Practical knowledge of approaches to predict battery degradation, either physics-based modelling, machine learning techniques, or other predictive techniques
- Understanding of battery pack end-user performance expectations
- Independent and driven person who can work autonomously and take initiative, but also a team player who will contribute and work well with others. Good communicator with a particular aptitude to convey data-driven results clearly and concisely to stakeholders with varying levels of expertise.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with real-life battery operation data
- Skilled at programming in Python or Matlab
- Skilled project planner, working with competing tasks and timelines
Brill Power Benefits
In addition to a fun and friendly team and working environment, we offer:
- Competitive salary, based on experience
- 25 days of holiday plus bank holidays
- Benefits package, including income protection, life insurance, and medical cover
- Full time, permanent role, with flexible working hours
- Opportunity for hybrid working (home and office), depending on role
- In-office tea, coffee, & snacks
- Regular team social events
Get in touch
There is no perfect candidate, and no single person can do it all, but if this sounds like you and you’re looking for somewhere to thrive, we want to hear from you.
Brill Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all, without regard to their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, gender reassignment, national origin, sexual orientation, or age.
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly indicating where your skills and experience match what we are looking for in this role.
Brill Power is proud to be a certified Oxford Living Wage employer.